Sri Vidwan panduranganar
Birth: 20 June 1916
Death: 9 September 2009
The SPH mastered the Hindu Stream of Paramashiva’s teachings known as Adi Shaivam and Shaiva Siddhantam under the renowned Tamil scholar Vidwan Sri Panduranganar in Tiruvannamalai, birthplace of HDH. Sri Panduranganar was known for his extraordinary integrity and dedication to teaching Adi Shaivam and his highly austere and simple personal life. He walked by foot most of his life while spreading Shaivism.
229th Guru Mahasannidhanam of Thondai Mandala Aadheenam
Founder and President of Tiruurai Kazhagam
Vidwan Panduranganar was exemplary acharya from the life of His Divine Holiness who guided him from a young age in the study of Agama and Adi Shaivam and was integral to the enlightenment eco-system of the place of the Advent of The Avatar, Tiruvannamalai. He was initiated by the 230th Gurumahasannidhanam of the Thondaimandala Sarvajnapeetham and lived from the same community of Adi Saiva Vellalar. Later on in his life Panduranganar was a well-known scholar in the field of Shaivism who specialized in the history and significance of Tiruvannamalai and Arunachala. Not only a scholar but, as HDH says, Panduranganar lived Adi Shaivism in practice with utmost integrity. A scholarly and exhaustive study on the Tiruvannamalai temple titled “Arulmigu Annamalai” by the great Tamil scholar of Tiruvannamalai A. Panduranganar, gives a list of books numbering 65 which contains Siva’s grandeur and the majesty of the temple. Vidwan A. Panduranganar’s book also contains Vignettes of about 28 most celebrated saints who lived around Tiruvannamalai including Arunagirinathar, Seshadri Swamigal and Ramana Maharishi who lived, moved and attained their salvation at this place.
- A brief mention of the books by Panduranganar is in this blog post on Tiruvannamalai http://drmshanmugam.blogspot.com/2011/07/mystic-mystery-of-arunachala-in.html?m=1
Sri Vidwan Panduranganar’s Contribution in the life of HDH
In early 1981, in Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu Yogiraj Yogananda Puri and Panduranganar were guided by the 230th Guru Mahasannidhanam to the Kanchi Paramacharya to receive his blessings. At that time Kanchi Paramacharya instructed Yogananda Puri to start Chaturmasya Vratam for the divine Incarnation of Paramashiva who was then just a three year old. Kanchi Paramacharya also gave the yoga danda for the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism to be initiated into Balasanyas and start the Chaturmasya Vratam.
After the ritualistic ceremony which happened on 17 July 1981, when HDH was initiated into Balasanyas, Panduranganar began the study of Adi Shaivam with The Avatar. He taught HDH the Tamil literatures of Thevaram, Thiruvasagam and Thiruvampavai. As He was also in the Vedic medicine and health, as HDH recognizes that it was Panduranganar who had given instructions for the aushada which needed to be taken by HDH at a young age to Yogiraj Yogananda Puri and Kuppammal.
- In this talk from 20 September, 2020 His Divine Holiness narrates the details of how the Chaturmasya Vratam was planned to be started in 1981 by Kanchi Paramacharya, 230th Gurumahasannidhanam of Thondaimandala Sarvajnapeetham, Yogiraj Yogananda Puri and Kuppammal. Among them, one of the organizers was Vidwan Panduranganar https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/September_29_2019
- In the talk on 4 October 2019, HDH speaks on how Raghupati Yogi was given a slip by Panduranganar every day about the ingredients for the aushada that he needs to give the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism and what time he would need to give it. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/October_04_2019
- In the talk on the Superconscious Mutation Process for Celibacy which HDH underwent at the age of around 13, HDH names Pandurangar as his Adi Shaivam guru who lived Adi Shaivism https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/September_05_2020
- In this talk from 17 January 2020, titled “Knowledge About The CosmosMakes Us Experience Oneness With The Cosmos, HDH talks about the lawyer A. Thandavarayan who used to fund Panduranganar when he would want to purchase books for the curriculum of the Supreme Pontiff of the Hinduism https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/January_17_2020
- HDH speaks on how Panduranganar had taught him the Agama in this talk on 25 November 2019 titled “Embodied Consciousness” https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_25_2019
On the Nithyananda Purnima celebrations on 5 June 2020, HDH speaks on how Kuppammal used to ensure he learned Shaiva Siddhanta from Pandurangar. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/June_05_2020
- In the talk from 14 November 2019, “Create beautiful Kailaasa ecosystem around you” HDH recalls how Panduranganar would insist that HDH take Haritaki and Castor Oil from the two grandmothers named Aatha Kasai and Aaya Kadai. He also mentions that he learn the Thevaram, Thiruvasagam and Thiruvampavai from Pandurangar. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_14_2019