Birth: 1 December 1918
Date of Final Samadhi: 20 February 2001
Location of Samadhi: Yogi Ramsuratkumar Ashram in Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu, India
Yogi Ramsuratkumar taught SPH the greater science of bhakti Advaita, achieving Oneness with the divine through devotion alone.
Smashana (burial ground) in Tiruvannamalai
Visiri Swamigal (since he was always carrying a fan)
Kailasa Paramparagatha Adi Arunachala Sarvajnapeetha Samrajyam
In the glorious Arunachala Puranam, it records the appearance of Paramashiva as an infinite effulgence of light, called lingodbhava, in Tiruvannamalai, South- the exact location of the sacred Arunachala Hill. He assumed this form to unveil His infinite form and liberate the Gods, Brahma and Vishnu from their egotistical patterns.
In this supreme manifestation, He blesses humanity with the promise to be available in the three-fold form 1.) form of the sacred hill Arunachala that continuously radiates the energy of Enlightenment 2.) form of worshipful Siva Linga deity in the Arunachaleshwara temple in Tiruvannamalai and 3.) as a living incarnation to continuously guide the people in the path of Enlightenment. This lineage includes the great Incarnations Seshadri Swamigal, Ramana Maharishi and the powerful, well-known Guru- Yogi Ramsurat Kumar.
Yogi Ramsuratkumar was born in the town called Laalgunj near Kashi, in North India, on December 18, 1918 and from a young age, was always attracted to the dense spiritual life that existed in the sacred city of Kashi. Finally in 1952, in order to pursue his ultimate purpose, he left Varanasi for Anandashram in Kerala. Yogi Ramsuratkumar himself says that his moment of enlightenment was the moment of initiation from Swami Ramdas into the mantra, “Om Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram” . Upon coming to Tiruvannamalai in 1959, Yogi Ramsuratkumar received initiation from Ramana Maharshi, when he was ordained as the next successor of the ancient Arunachala Sampradaya and the ancient kingdom of Adi Arunachala Samrajyam.
From the main Tiruvannamalai train station to the Punnai Tree, then from the burial ground to his own house which was owned and maintained by his devotees Yogi Ramsuratkumar began enriching everyone who approached him. His extremely profound and unorthodox teachings attracted the seekers even from the west. Yogi Ramsuratkumar became highly established not only in the great town surrounding Arunachala but also in global platforms.
- In the talk from 7 September 2020, “Unclutch to Go Beyond Delusion: Guaranteed Solution” HDH recalls how even though Yogi Ramsuratkumar would always be smoking the village beedi, He would never smell smoke or feel nausea around him. He was such a graceful being and the space around him was always incredibly pure, both in smell and in the deep feeling of joy and bliss that Yogi Ramsuratkumar radiated.
The Enlightenment Eco-System in Tiruvannamalai
Yogi Ramsuratkumar played a pivotal role in the birthing of the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism, by initiating the blessed chosen couple who would be the parents of the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism, upon their marriage in 1974.
After His Advent, subsequent to the yogic and Vedanta training imparted to the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism by Yogananda Puri and Mataji Vibhutananda Puri, the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism began His time with Yogi Ramsuratkumar and imbibing the great spiritual philosophy of Bhakti yoga, the path to enlightenment through devotion, faith and surrender.
From the time of His advent to when He started the revival of KAILASA, the Gurus of the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism created the ambience for HDH to radiate superconsciousness energy and master the power manifestation science. One of most beloved gurus was Yogi Ramsuratkumar, a well known guru from Tiruvannamalai- known for His deep and insightful teachings and constantly blissful and joyful space.
- On 30 January 2014, His Divine Holiness had spoken in the topic of “Complete with the Inner Child in You” where He described how His gurus created the ambience for Him to perfectly manifest superconsciousness before even He cognized Himself as an individual consciousness as normal human beings do. HDH recalls Yogi Ramsuratkumar with deep reverence and gratitude among the Gurus who had raised Him.
- On 17 August 2020, in the discourse ” Hinduism Is For You!” HDH spoke about the Kandamandana literatures in every Hindu tradition, where the specific tradition promotes the intense practice of its own rituals and customs. He gives the example of the enlightenment eco-system Tiruvannamalai where He grew up and all of His gurus, though from different traditions, had worked together and complement each other in their day to day lives.
- On 28 March 2018, His Divine Holiness had spoken eloquently on the great enlightenment eco-system of Tiruvannamalai and the enlightened beings who lived there and continuously and tirelessly worked to upkeep the enlightenment ecosystem. In this talk, at the last, He commits to Humanity that He would revive the power manifestation science which is from ancient Hindu scriptures.
- In the talk from 12 October 2019, “Keep yourself pure and powerful!” His Divine Holiness explained once again how Tiruvannamalai was a Sarvajnapeetham where all the traditions of Hinduism are taught and even though His gurus were coming from different Hindu traditions they never fought, or saw one as superior than the other. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/October_12_2019
2 February 2014 https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/February_02_2014 9 November 2019; Everything Happening is Auspicious ; https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_09_2019 10 September 2019; By Remembrance Paramashiva Liberates https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/September_10_2019 14 November 2019 ; Create Beautiful Kailasa Ecosystem Around Yo https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_14_2019
The Path of Bhakti Yoga
The path of Bhakti Yoga is rooted in the scriptures from Bhagavan Paramashiva, specifically in Guru Gita, where He speaks about the greatness of the Guru. In Verse 63, Bhagavan Paramashiva says,
“Nimisānnimi sādhārdvā yadvāk yādvai vimucyate Svātmānam sivamālokya tadmai srīgurave namah
By following the words of the guru having perceived and cognised one’s self who is Siva one spontaneously within a second or half a second frees himself from the clutches of all bondages and incompletions. Surrender to that Sri Guru
This deep sentiment is reflected in many incidents across the vast and sumptuous Hindu history. For example, Padmapadacharya, disciple of Sri Adi Shankaracharya, was once directed to cross River Ganga. Without thinking he began walking. Miraculously, for each step he took across Ganga, a lotus appeared in that exact position until he was successfully on the other side.
As Bhagavan Paramashiva himself declares in Guru Gita, within a second that the disciple follows what the guru says he attains the space of enlightenment with no bondages or incompletions.
In the ancient Hindu civilization, attaining this deep surrender, or Oneness, with Guru was the very purpose of life. All spiritual traditions , customs, and rituals were aligned to this goal. This was the ecosystem which produced beings who were intelligent beyond their time and capable of superhuman powers that enabled them to transcend death itself. Attaining oneness with the Guru, embodiment of Supreme Consciousness, is the ultimate goal.
SPH remembers His relationship with Yogi Ramsuratkumar as the sweetest relationship between guru and disciple. In one instance, it was customary for people who passed Yogi Ramsuratkumar to stop by and ask him questions about their future. Children on their way to school would stop by and ask how they would fare in their exams. They could rarely elicit a response from the intriguing Mystic. One day, on his way to school, His Divine Holiness stopped by and asked if he would pass his test in school that day. He got the reply, ‘You will pass the test of life, my boy!’ His Divine Holiness could not comprehend the meaning of those words. A lady who overheard these words told him, ‘Go on, child! You will not understand these words now; but you will recall them later!’
- In the talk “Nithyananda on Yogi Ramsuratkumar” HDH reveals a profound leela happened in His life with His guru. He narrates how once when sitting with Yogi Ramsuratkumar suddenly His guru had stretched out his arm to give him the village beedi which he was smoking. The Avatar describes in that moment how he felt bound by his family orthodoxy to take the beedi. Through this divine leela, HDH teaches the importance of surrendering at the feet of the Guru, when the chance is given. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/September_16_2012
- In the talk from 16 February 2014, “Techniques for Zero Suffering” the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism elaborates on the power of listening. He teaches that if we master true listening without any other inner thought currents, it is enough to have superconscious breakthroughs. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/February_16_2014
- In the talk “Master Keys to Seeking” from 7 March 2016 SPH narrated the master key He received from Yogi Ramsuratkumar about ghosts. He teaches how only what we project is manifested and if we believe that ghosts are real they will be real. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/March_07_2016
- In the talk from 12 February 2014, “Coming to terms with Reality” HDH teaches how Yogi Ramsuratkumar’s teachings were always emphasizing the need to come to terms with reality as it is, and face the truth.
- On 21st January 2014, “Kalpataru – the space of Possibility” HDH speaks on how Yogi Ramsuratkumar would grow younger year by year because of the intense space of Paramashiva which he radiated. HDH elaborates that if anyone has the space of possibility, it is the key to youthfulness despite your age. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/June_20_2012
- In the beautiful and profound discourse on 7 September 2020, “Unclutch to Go Beyond Delusion” HDH teaches millions worldwide a lesson He first imbibed from Yogi Ramsuratkumar about the cosmic play of the universe. Using a divine leela which happened in His own life, He teaches us an extremely important spiritual truth and gives us the initiation for making it happen in our own lives.
- On 1 August 2020, HDH elaborated on His own personal relationship with Yogi Ramsuratkumar, citing that it was not always that he used to talk to Him and interact personally. Many times they had a deep understanding with each other that surpassed any kind interaction they could have had verbally. HDH thus teaches the subtleties of the guru-disciple relationship and how it can manifest in our lives. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/August_01_2020
2 June 1993 – Rare Photographs of HDH with Yogi Ramsuratkumar
This was taken in Oya mutt in Thiruvoodal street when The Avatar was 15 years old. The Avatar spent 6 years around him soaking in Advaita Bhakti (Devotional Oneness with the Divine) which Yogi Ramsuratkumar exuded. Yogi Ramsuratkumar recognised who The Avatar was and spent an intimate six years with Him.
The occasion in this photograph is the sacred thread ceremony of The Avatar’s biological family’s friend’s son. The father of the child is Balakumaran, an extremely popular Tamil writer who was very close to His mother’s younger brother Venugopal. He was a devotee of Sri Yogi Ramsuratkumar Swamigal. His family came from Chennai to celebrate this function in Tiruvannamalai under the auspices of Yogi Ramsuratkumar Swamigal.
19 September 1993 – The Earliest Recorded Footage of HDH
In the grand celebration of registration of Yogi Ramsuratkumar ashram land, HDH travelled along with Yogi Ramsuratkumar in CAR from Yogi’s home in Sannidi Street to Yogi Ramsuratkumar Ashram. This footage captures the moment as HDH was eagerly waiting for Yogi Ramsuratkumar as he was getting out of the car
Lifestyle of Yogi Ramsuratkumar
Throughout His life, Yogi Ramsuratkumar rarely ate any solid food or partook in a full meal. When teaching on Nirahara Samyama, the lifestyle of living beyond food, HDH always cites how His gurus also never ate and exemplified living completely behind the desire of needing food or their daily function. Such was their intensity that they simply took the energy needed for their body directly from the prana energy.
In the following talks, HDH elaborately speaks on the lifestyle of fasting and Nirahara Samyama and with deep gratitude and reverence, takes the example of Yogi Ramsuratkumar among His other gurus on those who fasted.
1. 11 April 2011; How to Walk on Water Patanjali Yoga Sutras 146 (part 3) 11th April 2011 https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/April_11_2011 2. 12 August 2020; Conscious Elasticity l; https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/August_12_2020
Naming HDH as His own Successor and His Final Samadhi
In 1994, Yogi Ramsuratkumar invested his savings into the future of His Divine Holiness and the revival of KAILASA itself by supporting, blessing and funding the construction of the first temple-monastery complex in Pavazha Kundru.
Upon his Samadhi, or final rest in the space of Supreme Consciousness in 2002, Yogi Ramsuratkumar declared that His Divine Holiness Sri Nithyananda Paramashivam is the next incarnation in the lineage. His Divine Holiness is the current incarnation of Paramashiva who is reviving and re-establishing Kailaasa, the enlightenment ecosystem originally established by Paramashiva
- HDH speaks on 4 August 2020 in a talk on Thyaga on Yogi Ramsuratkumar’s thyaga (sacrifice) for Him by investing in his future and waiting for HDH to successfully establish the Revival of KAILASA before He attained final samadhi.