The SPH deeply imbibed the teachings of Advaita from Annamalai Swamigal.
Date of Samadhi: 6 November 1995
Location of Samadhi: Annamalai Swamigal Ashram in Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu
The SPH deeply imbibed the teachings of Advaita from Annamalai Swamigal
Ramanashram in Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu
Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi
Kailasa Paramparagatha Adi Arunachala Sarvajnapeetha Samrajyam
Annamalai Swamigal served Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi personally and worked as the construction manager for the ashram for a decade. During this time, He developed a deep, devotional obedience toward Ramana Maharshi and imbibed the best of his teachings and therefore was able to live beyond his Master in the physical plane as his representative with the same intense, radiating energy.
The Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism beautifully described an incident between both Guru and Disciple which passed much before The Avatar was born, as Annamalai Swamigal served the living embodiment of Paramashiva then, Ramana Maharshi.
One day Annamalai Swamigal was bathing His guru. Often, the sensation of water falling on the body sends enlightened masters into a very powerful state of meditation. Ramana Maharishi was relaxed in this space as his disciple attended to him. As Annamalai Swamigal bathed his own guru, stroke by gentle stroke with the fresh water, Annamalai Swamigal caught the space of his guru. He fell into a deep samadhi as well. Unaccustomed to this space, he remained there well after Ramana Maharishi came out of samadhi. Now, the Guru helped the disciple. Ramana Maharishi took care that his body was in a comfortable position until he resurfaced from the ocean of bliss.
Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharishi (seated in the chair in the center) surrounded by his close disciples, including Annamalai Swamigal, who is standing correctly behind him.
“Now, just sit” he told his disciple.
With this instruction, Annamalai Swamigal’s life was decided. He simply remained there, where Ramana Maharishi told him to sit down, for the rest of his guru’s life. He had been the construction manager at that time and one of his most trusted devotees but all of that came to an abrupt stop that day as instructed by the guru. Even years later in early 1950 when devotees gathered around Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi as he was leaving the body, Annamalai Swamigal remained there in the distant corner of his quarters.
Annamalai Swamigal & the Enlightenment Eco-System
The enlightenment eco-system which was spearheaded by Ramana Maharshi and continued on by several of his disciples, specifically Annamalai Swamigal, Thinnai Swamigal, and even Sadhu Om was what His Divine Holiness had lived in upon His advent on Planet Earth until the age of 16. His Divine Holiness often participated in Annamalai Swamigal’s talks and discourses, interacted with him personally and even just went to sit and imbibe his presence. In this way, Annamalai Swamigal had a strong role in the enlightenment eco-system which surrounded and prepared him for the supreme manifestation of pure consciousness, of Paramashiva. As well, all of HDH’s other gurus such as Mataji Vibhutananda Puri, Yogiraj Yogananda Puri, Yogi Ramsuratkumar all respected and worked together to create this environment with the whole of Tiruvannamalai.
- In a talk from 4 August 2020, HDH spoke on Annamalai Swamigal as a part of the enlightenment eco-system of Tiruvannamalai. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/August_04_2020
2. In the talk from 17 November 2009, HDH speaks on Gurukul as the only way to revive Hinduism. He explains how his own Gurukul as He was growing up in Tiruvannamalai was Made up of all of His gurus, in which He named Annamalai Swamigal as one extremely influential guru in the Gurukul in which He grew. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_17_2019
3. In the talk “Advaita Makes You Powerful” from 15 April 2014 HDH again names all of His gurus who seamlessly lived in Advaita, in Oneness with all things around them. He explains how He was able to simply catch this conflict- free superconscious lifestyle. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/April_15_2014
4. When HDH spoke on 2 March 2015 titled “Discover Your Consciousness” HDH speaks on the enlightenment eco-system which existed in Tiruvannamalai and where He grew up. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/March_02_2015
Teachings on Advaita and Ribhu Gita
Annamalai Swamigal’s main guidance in the life of the Supreme Pontiff of Hinduism is in the Path of Advaita and self-inquiry. One of the literatures which Annamalai Swamigal spoke on frequently was the Ribhu Gita which today His Divine Holiness Himself recommends to read and imbibe. The Ribhu Gita is a scripture which indulges in the profound truths of Advaita, and Oneness of all things. The power of this scripture is such that just chanting the verses can invoke the space of that very experience of Oneness. His Divine Holiness describes how Annamalai Swamigal and even Thinnai Swamigal both enjoy the verses of Ribhu Gita being read aloud to them.
In 2016, His Divine Holiness had spoken on seeking as the grand narrative of Hinduism. He elaborated on how it was the ferocious seeking which ultimately had given Him the superconscious breakthrough at the age of 12 and expressed deeply through His body through the power of initiation. Annamalai Swamigal continuously encouraged the young Incarnation to seek and realize the higher truth within oneself.
- On 23 January 2015, in the talk “Life Has No Hypocrisy”, HDH narrates a beautiful and powerful interaction with a devotee of Annamalai Swamigal who used to churn butter while chanting the Ribhu Gita. HDH expressed that for two full days He experienced a sweet space of Oneness and ecstasy after tasting the butter which she had made. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/January_23_2015
In this talk on 12 December 2018, “Enriching – Basic Cognition for Enlightenment” , His Divine Holiness teaches on the spiritual cognition of surrender which He says He first experienced with Annamalai Swamigal https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/December_12_2018
In the morning satsang on 27 November 2019, “Love Is The Pure Strategy To Receive Ultimate Power And Manifest As Ultimate Force” HDH recalls how He had remembered when Annamalai Swamigal told him “Only through love, the life force will start manifesting through your body”. In this talk, HDH expands on love and the power of the true love of the Guru, who commits to enlighten you. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_27_2019
In the talk “Deham (body), Naa Ham (am not) Koham (Who am I) Soham (Paramashiva is me)|” from 1 August 2020, His Divine Holiness speaks on mahavakya given by Annamalai Swamigal to him ” DEHAM – BODY. NAA HAM – AM NOT. KOHAM – WHO AM I. SOHAM – PARAMASHIVA IS ME
HDH declares that He could build a full-fledged temple for Annamalai Swamigal for giving Him this mahavakya which is based in the teachings of advaita. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/August_01_2020
In “Seeking” is the Hindu Grand Narrative” delivered by HDH on 22 January 2016, He gives a powerful understanding for the whole of Hinduism with the concept of Grand Narrative. He names Seeking as the Hindu Grand Narrative as it is a spiritual concept which has been explored, researched, described in detail by the Hindu Rishis, scholars, philosophers over thousands of years. He explains that it is the perfect Grand Narrative as it is the basis of all the traditions in Hinduism. In this discourse He declares that His own grand narrative was Arunagiri Yogishwara and Annamalai Swamigal https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/January_20_2016
In this talk delivered on 8 January 2015, “Upanishads teach How to Live Advaita” HDH remembers how He used to read the Ribhu Gita with Annamalai Swamigal, and how beautifully it would describe the space of Advaita, or Oneness. He also emphasizes how it is necessary to learn these truths from a Guru where more powerful cognitions can be inserted inside you without even you internalizing them consciously. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/January_08_2015
Diary of Annamalai Swamigal Given to THe SPH
1989 | This book was given to The young Avatār by Annamalai Swamigal, a direct disciple of Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi who took personal care of Bhagavan in Tiruvannamalai.
In his own handwriting, Annamalai Swamigal has written in this book, about his enlightenment experience and whatever he heard from Bhagavan.
In The Avatar’s own words as to how Annamalai Swamigal gifted the book to Him:
“I used to have a big notebook where I would write whatever essence of what I read clicks with me. I wrote my conversations with Arunagiri Yogishwara in it. Once, I showed Annamalai Swamigal this book. In that I had also written whatever I had heard from him!
Immediately, he took this book out and said, ‘I have written like this, you take it,’ and gave it to me!”
View: Inner pages
The Superconscious Breakthrough and Enlightenment Experience at the age of 12
It was Annamalai Swamigal who guided Him to have a powerful superconscious breakthrough at the age of 12 years old.
SPH describes, “Once when I visited him with my parents, he was addressing a group of seekers and was saying , ‘We are not the body, we are athman; no pain or suffering touches us’.
I wondered how this could be, for if my mother beat me, I could feel the pain!”
Determined to make this teaching into His experience, the young Incarnation demonstrated the immense courage to experiment with His guru’s words. He went home and took the blade that his father uses to shave to cut himself in the thigh and see if he had pain.
In his own words, he said, “Naturally, it not only pained me but I had to be taken to hospital for the wound to be stitched, with more puja from my mother! I had both pain and suffering. I wondered what this Swami had taught us- ‘no suffering or pain’”
Later on the young Avatar approached Annamalai Swamigal and related what happened after. He remembered, “I approached the Swami and related what had happened to me. He then made a profound statement which transformed my life.
He said, ‘You may have pain and suffering now but do not worry. Your attitude of analyzing and searching the truth, your courage to experiment with truth will liberate you from all pains, go ahead!’ He then advised me to start searching for the source of thoughts. Of course, at that age I was only irritated by his comments and my attention was rather on the fruits and sweets that devotees had brought him, hoping he would give me some in consolation! Honestly, I neither understood nor was convinced of what he said.
However, after a few days I began to playfully and casually try out the technique of trying to see the origin of thoughts. I did not do this with any expectation or idea. All I knew was what the Swami had told me: that I would go beyond pain or suffering if I did this technique. I had no concept of God, Brahman, Atma or Gnan. One evening , at the foothills of Arunachala, I was trying out the same technique with eyes closed. I had fallen into deep meditation ; suddenly something opened , seemed to happen inside my being…”
“The next moment it was as if a door had opened inside me and that I had complete 360 degree vision, both laterally and vertically. I could see all four sides – the temple behind me, the hill in front of me, the city on my sides. I could see vertically too – the sky, the rock on which I was sitting. For normal people who have only a maximum of 180 degree of these visions, I know this is very difficult to comprehend. All I can do is promise solemnly that it did happen. No other intellectual explanation is possible. Not only was I able to see all round, I was also able to feel that whatever I was seeing was me. Whether they were plants or rocks or the city or the hill , whatever I could see, I felt they were all just me. The experience was so intense and ecstatic that it was more than 3 or 4 hours before I opened my eyes. I felt feverish with bliss and this mood continued for 3 days.
If hundred of thousands of suns were to rise at once into the sky, their radiance might resemble the effulgence of the supreme person in that universal Form. These concepts can never be understood by ordinary intellect. In my experience, it was like the light of a hundred suns and the cooling effect of a hundred moons. Such was the pleasance of the experience.”
The experience for the incarnation of Paramashiva was something beyond enlightenment itself as it is normally. SPH describes it as “Anchoring into Turiya”, the enlightened state. After a nine-month guru-disciple relationship with the embodiment of Paramashiva which climaxed in the experience of Advaita with Paramashiva Himself which the Avatar had at the age of ten years old, this experience was a profound grounding into that Advaita where the supreme consciousness radiated from His body even more deeply.
The superconscious breakthrough which Annamalai Swamigal nurtured until its flowering was especially important in the grand revival of KAILASA as after this, HDH gave the first ever initiation to His friend Sampath to whom He was eagerly demonstrating the powers which started to express through Him. This initiation was the first of millions which HDH would give, ultimately for the superconscious breakthrough of humanity itself.
6.1. In 2007, HDH narrated the first enlightenment experience as it happened to Him in the most elaborate detailed way in order to initiate humanity itself into the experience which He had at the age of 12. In this talk He begins by narrating His experience of deep feeling connection to Annamalai Swamigal, where He explains that He used to want to live exactly like Him and continuously in the remembrance of Him. He develops the narrative into the exact experience of the superconscious breakthrough which happened through His body. This invaluable discourse is a must-watch to imbibe the greatest life-changing teaching from His Divine Holiness. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/November_20_2007
2. On 25 May 2013, HDH once again goes into detailed depth about His first enlightenment experience with the context of the four tattvas integrity, authenticity, responsibility and enriching. He explains that through this enlightenment experience His own integrity had flowered into authenticity, then to responsibility and then to enriching. With a new context, this powerful happening from the life of His Divine Holiness develops an evolved meaning which becomes a powerful life-transforming initiation for every being who is present or who will ever watch this video. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/May_25_2013
3. On 13 January 2019, HDH expands on the incident which led up to His own enlightenment experience when He cut his thigh and how He was perfectly guided by Annamalai Swamigal to turn his ferocious seeking into self-inquiry- with the technique to ask your self “Where is this pain coming from? What is the source of the pain?” Annamalai Swamigal had guided him that cutting himself was neither right not wrong. It was not right because harming oneself should never even be seen as an option. However, it was not wrong either because ferocious seeking is necessary for enlightenment. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/January_13_2019
4. In the talk “Creating 1008 KAILASAs around the world” from 28 February 2018 HDH explains how he will create the ecosystem around the world where the superconscious breakthrough which he had at the age of 12 would be possible for absolutely anyone. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/February_28_2019
5.HDH elaborates on his superconscious breakthrough which happened at the age of 12 when he was following Annamalai Swamigal. He tells that as He was following Him, he followed Him with utmost intensity that Annamalai Swamigal became His cosmos. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/March_05_2016
6. In the talk “Consciousness Pervades Everything” from 29 January 2015, HDH explains how the great Truths from Upanishad was the Shastra pramana the experience which he had at the age of 12. Upanishadic truths are not technique but the experience itself. He uses the example of His own enlightenment experience to teach that the sutra is not a technique but the experience itself. He tells that when He cut his thigh, he had used the sutra as a technique. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/January_29_2015
Living Enlightenment (Beyond the Age of 12)
The science of Living Enlightenment stemmed from the deep feeling connection and bhakti which His Divine Holiness had for Annamalai Swamigal. For all actions or decisions which He made He remembered what Annamalai Swamigal would do and followed accordingly. He always kept him in His remembrance.
HDH expanded that when Arunagiri Yogishwara happened in his life He started to remember the same with Arunagiri Yogishwara and lived with Him continuously in His decisions, actions and thoughts. This is what HDH called as “Leela Dhyan”. Even as a three year old Incarnation HDH cites that He used to always keep His deities with him, give them bath and offer them food just as He would for Himself. As He matured He began to do the same with His gurus. HDH always speaks about “Practicing the Presence of God” as well.
- In this talk, ” Conquer Space And Time” from 7 May 2011, HDH speaks on the enlightenment experience and how through continuously Living Enlightenment the process becomes a part of your biomemory, or it becomes so deeply ingrained within side of you and then deeply ingrained inside of the others around you this is how the eco-system of enlightenment is established. ithttps://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/May_07_2011
- In the talk , “How Sadashiva Manifested the 11 Dimensions of the Universe” HDH once again speaks on the the simple cognitions technique which he used when He was younger. He explains .” I use this as a technique when I was young. I’ll always use to connect, whenever I have a problem, Annamalai Swamigal was ideal for me, Ramana Maharshi’s disciple. First thing I’ll say, “How Annamalai Swamigal will handle this?” Of course, after Arunagiri Yogishwara happened, He become the ideal. Then I’ll always look how Arunagiri Yogishwara would have handle this? Have this one understanding, “How Sadashiva will handle this?” https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/April_15_2018
- In the talk “Step Up to the Spectrum of Enlightenment” From the series of Bhagavad Gita, HDH narrates a divine leela which happened in His life when He used the technique for Living Enlightenment when going around the Arunachala Hill late at night. In moments that would provoke fear in any normal human being this powerful cognitions based in the science of Living Enlightenment was the key to how He lived a divine life in a human body. https://nithyanandapedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita_-_Step_up_to_the_Spectrum_of_Enlightenment